by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Agrimarketing : January February 2013
Changes to logos, even small ones, are never taken lightly. A company's logo is the complete embodiment of everything the company stands for, with the best logos being easily recognizable and memorable. While the risks are many, changing a well-supported and accepted logo sometimes must be done. A brand needs reinvigoration. Companies evolve. Marketing approaches change. Dow AgroSciences found itself in that situation last year. In October, 2012, Dow AgroSciences introduced a new brand and visual identity. It was the culmination of a major brand transformation the company had been undertaking for over a year. The adoption of the red DOW Diamond logo with the Dow AgroSciences word mark more clearly associated the enterprise as a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company and to Dow AgroSciences' brand transformation. As part of the rebrand, customers are seeing changes on marketing materials and products. The new Dow AgroSciences company tagline, "Solutions for the Growing World," links with Dow Chemical's new advertising campaign "Solutionism." According to the company, the tagline reflects Dow AgroSciences' passion for agriculture, as well as its commitment to scientific discovery and a service-first culture to help satisfy the needs of those in the industry. SOLID BACKING Founded in 1897 by Herbert H. Dow, The Dow Chemical Company entered the agricultural market in 1910, offering lime sulfur (calcium sulfide) and lead arsenate sprays to farm chemical businesses. Many of the earliest experiments in crop protection products were conducted by H.H. Dow who was an avid horticulturalist. Although the Dow-in-diamond mark was first established in 1898, the trademark wasn't officially adopted by the company until 1918. Today, Dow Chemical's diversified industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 160 countries and in high growth sectors such as electronics, water, energy, coatings and agriculture. "Our close connection to The Dow Chemical Company enables us to operate within the framework of a much bigger company that offers scale and strength to our business around the world," says Antonio Galindez, President and CEO of Dow AgroSciences. "The significant investment in new innovations by the company over the past decade has enabled many new agricultural technology collaborations and advances, new product launches, and overall faster business growth." Stan Howell, Dow AgroSciences Vice President for North America, agrees wholeheartedly. "When Dow Chemical management comes in for a visit, they always ask, 'What do you need?'," he says. "Then they deliver. It's great to have that much support and confidence coming from the home office." A SHORT, SUCCESSFUL HISTORY Dow AgroSciences was originally known as DowElanco, founded in 1989 as a joint venture between the agricultural products business of the Dow Chemical Company and the Elanco Plant Sciences business of Eli Lilly and Company. In 1997, Dow Chemical acquired 100 percent ownership of the business and changed the name to Dow AgroSciences. In its 23 years of operation, the company has grown to employ more than 7,700 people worldwide, with 24 Agri Marketing January/February 2013 COVER STORY THE STORY BEHIND A NEW LOGO by Mike Gustafson, Deer's Landing Galindez Dow AgroSciences global headquarters in Indianapolis
Marketing Services Guide 2013